The kitchen area is one of the most vital spaces of the home, and home buyers consider the state and design of the kitchen as one of the deciding factors in choosing a property. Busy modern lifestyles demand a kitchen and food preparation area that is comfortable, efficient, and flexible enough for both quick-fix meal preparations and gourmet-style cooking efforts. The design and fixtures utilized around the kitchen also do much to increase the overall impact of the home interiors.
When preparing to stage your home for sale, the kitchen should also complement the ambiance and emotional impact you would like to achieve in the property as a whole. Kitchen designs and décor trends are constantly changing, so it is a good idea to be aware of what your target clientele is and what they would be looking for in a home for sale, particularly when it comes to the kitchen layout and design.
Here are the hot trends in kitchen designs for 2013:
- Brass is back. Brass fixtures, lamps, and other items around the home are back in style this year. In the kitchen, brass faucets are quite popular among homeowners and buyers, and they don’t have to cost you an arm and a leg.
- Experiment with colored cabinets. Cabinets and other storage spaces can be painted different hues and shades. Bright-colored cabinets against white or beige backgrounds are particularly attractive visually and popular in contemporary designs.
- Shine bright. Modern kitchens are being equipped with oversized light fixtures, lamps, and plenty of accent and statement lighting, making for added depth and appeal to the area.
- Spacious center island. Homeowners want a spacious food preparation area that would make them feel like a celebrity chef. Plus, it feels like less of a chore when you have a great workspace. Equip the center island with lots of space, lighting, and colors.
- Colorful appliances are in. Although black, white, and stainless steel are still standard fare, contemporary home designs are making room for different colored appliances that combine fun and flair. Look for blue or red ovens, refrigerators, coffeemakers, and microwave ovens that are becoming very trendy among younger clients.
- Casual dining. Changing lifestyles are constantly causing the evolution of dining habits and schedules. A modern kitchen with dining-ready countertops (read: spacious and clear of clutter) and bar stools gives off a casual, open appeal, and is particularly attractive to young professionals who like to combine meals with tasks or chatter.