Professional home stagers usually caution homeowners against extravagant or excessive renovation costs as part of the home staging plans, especially for those with limited budgets or who are looking to downsize on their expenses by selling their larger home, in order to move to a smaller, more efficient residence. After all, with some smart choices and careful planning, along with the right renovation tips, you will be able to update the look and feel of your property without having to shell out insane amounts of money for renovations and upgrades.
Aside from the costs, renovations also generally take time to be completed, and not every one with a home being sold in today’s market has the time or the finances to sustain renovation plans. If you need to spruce up some areas of your home, or if certain fixtures and furniture accessories have run their course and need upgrading, you can opt for simple, budget-friendly renovation secrets that are cost-efficient but do their fair share in transforming your home from ordinary to extraordinary.
Below are some renovation tips that are easy on the wallet:
- Raid the vintage/antique stores. When you visit local antique or vintage stores, you will be sure to find some charming furniture pieces or accent décor for various areas of your home. The unique designs also provide contrast or balance to your home staging plans. In particular, antique pieces of furniture or fixtures bring character to your home.
- Little DIY updates go a long way. Instead of shopping for all-new sofas and chairs, simply using slip-on covers or new cushions and pillows on them will make them look fresh and contemporary. For dining tables, coffee tables, or desks, a fresh coat of paint or varnish could be all it takes to make them look nice and new again.
- Mirrors make the space bigger. Room extensions or expansions are not always feasible, so if you want to make a room or area of the house seem bigger, consider adding strategically located mirrors that add a sense of space or depth to the area. If they are positioned right and reflect light, they also make the room seem more alive.
- Lighting can enhance your home’s ambiance. Lighting updates are relatively inexpensive and easy to install, so they should be maximized by homeowners looking for easy home updates. Table lamps, floor lamps, and wall lamps in the right corners and spaces can make a room look cozier or more inviting, while also being functional.
- Use creative storage. In home staging, you want your property to be as decluttered as possible, so keep as much as you can out of view. Use creative storage options for putting away stuff that you don’t necessarily want potential buyers to see, but still need on a daily basis. Options include elegant-looking ottomans or brightly-colored, modern cabinets and storage shelves.